Many students and volunteers are asking about the location for this week. Even though the LAS confirmation says you are meeting up this week, the conversation sessions DO NOT start until next week. Please ignore ALL e-mails from LAS (appointment reminders or missed appointments). Only FINAL CONFIRMATION from me counts.
2) Location for conversation groups will be sent out at least 48 hours before actual sessions.
Location for conversation groups or conversation partners who have requested a classroom will be sent out at least 48 hours before the session you signed up. Scheduling office has not responded to me for the request that I put it. I will send that out as soon as I can but at least 48 hours before the session(s) you signed up for.
3) Sign up once for one session to indicate 10 sessions.
Please only sign up once under your session. When you sign up for the week of Sept. 17 or Sept. 24 once, it means you are attending for 10 sessions throughout the semester. Change the search dates to 9/19 to 9/26 since students can no longer view the sessions on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week.
4) You may sign up for more than one group (up to two groups) starting 5 p.m. today (Wednesday, Sept. 19).
Since we have 4 more groups than we have had in the past, we have decided that we are going to allow students to sign up for two groups starting 5 p.m. today. Thus, if you haven't signed up for a group, please do so before 5 p.m. today.
5) Please read volunteer's bio and specific requests on the Program Blog under student registration (www.umdesol.weebly.com).
There have been students who sign up for conversation partners without reading the volunteer bio and the preferences that the volunteers indicated at the registration sessions. Thus, please check to make sure that you are qualified for the volunteers' preferences. For example, volunteers requesting for Spanish Language Exchange may like to work with students who actually speak Spanish. We would to honor their request. If you find yourself in such a situation, please e-mail me as soon as possible and we will to find a way to find possible alternatives. Otherwise, you may be dropped from your conversation partners.
6) Please DO NOT e-mail your volunteers or any other volunteers prior to the final confirmation.
Several volunteers contacted me and said that they have been receiving e-mails from students with questions that we have covered in the registration sessions. Please don't scare our volunteers away before the semester even starts. It's really hard to recruit them, keep them and have them want to come back for next semester.
7) Before you e-mail me with a question, it's a good idea to check out our program blog for program updates: www.umdesol.weebly.com
Also, I may respond faster if you call (leave a message with your number if necessary). E-mails may take more time for me to respond. Thanks for your understanding.